- Are you working in molecular phylogenetics? Do you and your lab produce lots of DNA sequences.
- Are you tired of trying to find your sequences among several text files and Excel sheets?
- Do you wish there was a easy-to-use database to keep track of sequences and their associated voucher specimens?
- Did you ever wished there was a system to create molecular datasets for analysis in PAUP or MrBayes by just a few clicks of a mouse?
If the answers are yes, then VoSeq might be for you. VoSeq is a voucher and DNA sequence web application database aimed for people working in molecular phylogenetics.
Main features of VoSeq:
- Keep track of your sequences and associated voucher specimens.
- You upload your data to VoSeq and the back-end relational database will allow you to easily search, fetch, update, etc your DNA sequences or voucher data.
- With a few clicks, you can create ready-to-run datasets in NEXUS, Phylip, TNT formats, as well as FASTA files for submission to GenBank.
- Use the BLAST capabilities to find similar sequences among those you have, or BLAST against GenBank.
- Automated integration with public web services such as Flickr (for posting your voucher photos) and Yahoo Maps (for plotting voucher localities).
- You can install it in your computer for private use, or set it up in a shared server for collaborative work via the internet.
- and more.
The publication describing VoSeq came out recently:
Peña, C. & Malm, T. (2012). VoSeq: a Voucher and DNA Sequence Web Application PLOS ONE, 7(6): e39071. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0039071
- You can check out a test installation of VoSeq with sample data here: http://www.nymphalidae.net/VoSeq/
- The full documentation is here: http://nymphalidae.utu.fi/cpena/VoSeq_docu.html
- Download from here: https://github.com/carlosp420/VoSeq
- VoSeq is actively being developed and if you have questions or need help using it. Let us know!
Carlos Peña: email@example.com
Tobias Malm: firstname.lastname@example.orgTags: VoSeq voucher-database DOI PLoS-ONE publication